Šiauliai State Drama Theatre (ŠSDT) and Vilnius City Contemporary Music Theatre Production House “Operomanija” invite artists to submit proposals for an open call for the idea of a contemporary interdisciplinary / stage art work. The organizations intend to unite resources, competences and available connections to bring to life the ideas of artists from various fields, focused on the new music theatre, interdisciplinary art, and contemporary opera. The project will be implemented in two stages: in 2024 – idea development and residences, 2025 – realization of the developed idea.
Composers, poets, playwrights, directors, scenographers, architects, and artists from other disciplines are invited to submit proposals. A commission composed of ŠSDT and ‘Operomanija’ representatives will evaluate the received ideas. The authors of the selected ideas will be invited for individual interviews in the second half of February. Two selected ideas for 2024 will be developed in several residencies of various formats and presented as sketches. One of them will be fully developed and implemented. The work is expected to premiere in 2025 in Šiauliai and as part of the 9th Contemporary Opera Festival NOA (New Opera Action) program in Vilnius.
Conditions of the international open call for professional artists:
- The scope of creative ideas, age of creators, nationality, citizenship or creative views are not limited.
- When developing the idea, it is preferable to include the actors of the State Šiauliai Drama Theatre ensemble. Collaborations with guest performers or their collectives are also possible (when preparing an idea proposal, we recommend getting acquainted with the variety of collectives and performers in Šiauliai city / region).
- Contracts will be signed with the authors of the sketch selected for stage implementation, which provide for the obligations of creators and organizers, and royalties will be paid to creators. The competition organizers will cover the costs of residences (2024) and production (2025).
- All project participants will be informed about the results of the initial selection. The organizers undertake not to make public the information provided for the project, the authors’ ideas etc.
- We guarantee that ideas not selected for implementation will not be developed or used in any other way without the consent of the authors. The ideas presented by the authors remain their property.
We invite you to submit ideas until 10 February 2024 by filling out the form HERE.